So why choose WordPress?
You might have heard rumours about WordPress websites, for example you may have heard that Google gives priority to these websites. It is fairly certain that search engines give priority to certain websites and blogs, so now that blogging and pinging phase might be losing at least part of it’s effectiveness, now is the time for something new.
There’s strong evidence that WordPress blogs get better search rankings than other sites. We will explore that in more detail later, but for now, know that there are some search engine advantages to using WordPress tools.
In some ways this tool is only good for those who understand the importance and advantages of blogging. Blogging is a form of website promotion and information sharing that can have very strong business implications.
What is so special about WordPress? WordPress is your simple and easy way to set up a blog with minimal programming requirements. WordPress gives you a plethora of themes, theme resources, and the ability to use images, and various blog designs and layouts.
WordPress and high-end blogging tools like it can simplify the arduous process of setting up a blog or blogging system. WordPress is VERY easy.
The basic steps to uploading the WordPress tools are:
1) Instructions (Read them!)
2) Download the package. You should download the WordPress tools and extract them from the website package.
3) Create a website to upload the WordPress tools to.
4) Upload the WordPress files
5) Go to your website www.yourwebsite.com (index.php is the default page that WordPress opens to)
6) Go to your website and pull the MySQL database information (a) Username, (b) Password, (c) Server Information (This information will be available in your database control panel).
7) Go to the website and answer the questions on your database.
8) Input your set up information, and set up the links and layouts of the website.
Why WordPress instead of Blogger?
Have you ever used Blogger? I am referring to www.blogger.com. Blogger.com and LiveJournal.com are some of the best-known blogging websites on the internet. Unfortunately there is one MAJOR drawback, you don’t own the website. At any time Blogger can delete your username and profile. Lots of work and effort poured into someone else’s websites is not what you want to do. It is not in your best interest. Unfortunately, both Blogger.com and LiveJournal.com reserve the right to kick you off. Only a website put together with your own pages affords you a viable business that you own. You should never put your business and hours and hours of your work into a website you do not own and cannot control.
Features and Benefits of WordPress
There are also not a million other files for you to upload. This system is easy to download, and easy to upload to your own personal websites. WordPress is built to W3C standards for XHTML and CSS. These features make WordPress code easier to manage and easier to render in standards-compliant browsers. Non-compliant browsers are made compliant with only a few changes.
WordPress websites also have some very positive features themes, non-compiling changes to the website and the ability to utilise plugins. The most positive factor in the WordPress utility is that you do not need to know php. With many blogging systems you often need to know how to program.
The relative advantages are:
1) You don’t have to know php or any other programming language.
2) You don’t have to know how to program at all.
3) You don’t need to use the WordPress hosting service. Although this is offered, it is not necessary.
4) WordPress has aggregator support for standard RSS configurations. This has already been done with Atom.
5) WordPress automatically connects and configures with MySQL with virtually no effort.
6) Being built to standards increases WordPress’s longevity and future internet adoption.
7) WordPress automatically imports images.
8) The WordPress template has built-in links added in the template.
9) WordPress allows for the customisation of metadata.
10) WordPress allows customised styling for printing.
11) WordPress allows the administrator to design headlines.
12) WordPress allows for categories.
13) WordPress allows for customisation of the sidebar.
14) WordPress allows for customised RSS Feeds.
15) WordPress allows for customised forms.
16) WordPress allows for basic blogging posts.
17) WordPress allows archiving for posts.
18) WordPress allows for contacts in the template.
19) WordPress allows for an “about” page as well as multiple-page website.
20) WordPress allows for the styling lists and is built with CSS.
Plugins are very important. Plugins function to increase interest in your pages and provide extended functionality. The ability to leave messages via cellphone or do podcasts may increase the traffic to your blogs.
You have a few options like:
- Shopping carts
- Online forums and membership areas
- Surveys, contact forms
- Google Adsense, Commission Junction, ads
- Social media integration
- Integration with other tools, image libraries, e-newsletter systems
- Backup, security, website submission
- and many more!
WordPress continues to release quality versions of their already stable product as well as extend users’ capability to produce quality websites. WordPress also has a community theme viewer that allows you to view hundreds of new themes produced by other programmers. You can also purchase premium themes from ThemeForest, Genesis, WooThemes and similar websites.
WordPress is a quality product that allows you with very little knowledge to assemble, and deploy a beautifully complex website with little technical knowledge, and experience. If you are not using WordPress to build your websites then you are spending a lot of time doing work you don’t have to do!